We’re Hiring: Director of Marketing and Events
The Burn Institute mission is to educate and inspire communities to reduce burn injuries and empower those affected by burn trauma. As a team, we bridge the efforts between fire and burn prevention awareness in our community and support services for burn survivors. If you are interested in being part of a team who strengthens local prevention education and stewards opportunities for burn survivors and their loved ones so that they may thrive in their environment, this is a role for you!
About this Position
The Burn Institute Director of Marketing and Events is responsible for ensuring effectiveness by providing leadership for the organization’s marketing, public relations, special events, and communication functions.
This position serves as a member of the Management Team along with the Executive Director, Director of Prevention Programs, Director of Burn Survivor Services, and Director of Operations.
Working with the management team, the position also contributes to the development and implementation of marketing strategies to promote the organization’s brand, mission, and special events. This position will also interact with the Board of Directors.
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s Degree a plus) and with a minimum 3-years of work experience, preferably in the non-profit sector
- Experience in communication and marketing
- Superb written, verbal, and organizational skills
- Understanding of special events and fundraising
- Ability to work independently and effectively communicate with co-workers, supervisors, and the public
- Must be organized, analytical and a capable problem-solver
- Supervisor and management skills desired
- Experience with Adobe Creative, Salesforce, Microsoft Suites, and WordPress desired
60% Special Events and Sponsorships
- Develop and manage annual marketing and events budget.
- Supervise, coach, and support the Special Events Coordinator.
- Organize and support events with promotion, logistics, vendor communication, presentations, scripts, supportive information, etc.
- Plan and produce the annual Spirit of Courage Awards Banquet.
- Solicit current and prospective sponsors in the corporate community.
- Manage fulfillment of sponsorship obligations and assist Executive Director in soliciting new sponsorships.
- Oversee solicitation of in-kind donations for events and fundraisers.
30% Marketing and Communications
- Develop, implement, and evaluate an annual communication and marketing plan.
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to newsletters, brochures, flyers, social media and website.
- Manage graphic design projects.
- Play a significant role in long-term planning, including an initiative geared toward the organization’s positive image.
- Proactively write and distribute press releases and media alerts to secure earned media.
- Positively represent the organization at various events and throughout the community.
- Pursue, respond to requests, and coordinate interviews with senior leadership as appropriate, including crisis communication efforts.
- Manage website and oversee maintenance of online forms syncing to Salesforce.
10% Outreach and Stewardship
- Positively represent the organization at various events and throughout the community
Perform public speaking duties to groups and media
- Be aware and respectful of the rich multi-cultural families in the burn community
- Able and willing to work flexible hours as needed, which may include weekends or evenings (Reasonable notice will be provided for work outside of normal weekday business hours.)
- COVID-19 vaccination
- Ability to pass a background check prior to employment
- Possess and maintain California Driver’s License and automobile insurance
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds and work at desk workstation offering seated and/or standing position
- Must be able to travel between San Diego and Imperial Counties
Compensation and Benefits
- Fulltime, Exempt, 40 hours a week
- Salary range: $70,000-75,000/yr.
- Generous employer-sponsored health, dental, vision, chiropractic, and life insurance
- 403b plan with employer matching contribution of 50% of employee’s first 4% contribution
- Accrued Paid time off (PTO) plan, beginning 20 days/year
- 11 paid holidays
As a nonprofit organization, we hold ourselves to a high standard in serving our community. Regardless of each role, our team members value empathy, stewardship, dedication, inspiration, and respect, as we each contribute to our mission.
How to Apply: Please send cover letter and resume in a single PDF file, including the position title and applicants name as the file name, to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Closing Date: Until filled.
Burn Institute is committed to an inclusive and supportive work culture and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran