WHEN: November 7 – 10 (Thur–Sun)
WHERE: Best Western PLUS Island Palms Hotel & Marina
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 1, 2019
The Burn Institute invites adult burn survivors 25 years and older, as well as their caregiver, to this empowering three-day weekend revolving around self-discovery and peer-based support. Nestled in beautiful Shelter Island, participants will spend the weekend surrounded by the peaceful sounds of the ocean while participating in support groups, art-based activities, mindfulness, and more!
Information collected in the application is private and confidential. Some of the data collected is used for tracking purposes and your income levels will not exclude you from participating in our Retreat.
This retreat provides a venue where participants can:
- Talk openly and honestly about challenges and triumphs living with a burn injury and/or supporting someone who is living with a burn injury
- Overcome self-doubt, and maintain curiosity about self and experiences
- Connect about coping with scars
- Embark on the path of self-acceptance
- Provide support to other burn survivors and caregivers
- All food, lodging, and program costs are covered by the Burn Institute. Transportation to and from the retreat will not be covered.
- You are expected to stay the duration of the retreat and programs to ensure continuity.
- We understand that you are adults and able to make decisions for your own well being! Please be mindful of how your choices may impact other participants’ healing and process.
Please note– You must reside in San Diego County or have been treated at UCSD Regional Burn Center to apply. Priority will be given to first time applicants.
NOTE: Applicants must reside in San Diego, California and/or have been treated at UCSD Regional Burn Center in addition to being a burn survivor and/or a family member/caregiver that has had their life impacted by the burn and recovery of the survivor.